Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Being Incarcerated, 10 Years Later...


Reentry is incarcerated people who enter state prisons being released. If I was incarcerated for ten years but been going through parole I feel like the biggest obstacle I would face for successful reentry is the Ability to work and finding housing to provide for myself. I feel like this would of been the most challenging because of one discrimination, and two it being harder for parolees to recieve a job right after they've been released from prison due to the lack of skills and education. Trying to find a way to provide myself I know it would of been easier finding a profession that dealt with food service, manual labor, and a low earning pay job but someone like me I wouldn't have wanted to do any of those professions. Being released from prison, you officially have a criminal record and me being a young African American with a record can automatically slow down the hiring process because no organization would choose someone whos been convicted of a crime for their establishment compared to a caucasion whos never been convicted a crime before so that's a way discrimination could play a part trying to find a job. What would definitely make reentry successful for obtaining a job is by building connections or employment resources in the form of education and training while being incarcerated. Personally, I feel like I would have to plan ahead and also communicate with my parole officer but also people in the employment facilities. Housing on the other hand, I do not have a job due to discrimination of a criminal record to pay for rent or any of the above, so therefore finding a secure and affordable housing plan would of been harder to do especially because society now would look at me like i'm incapable for housing. What would help in this situation if my parol officer provided affordable housing options and policies were its more lenient to help support my transition back into the community.




No comments:

Post a Comment